Thank you for considering Autism Edmonton to share your time, talents and enthusiasm with! At Autism Edmonton, we value our volunteers and consider them integral to our programs, events and the autism community in general.
Volunteering with us means you're part of a team of dedicated and passionate individuals who are enhancing the lives of families and individuals living with autism and creating awareness, acceptance, and opportunities in our community. To ensure the best experience for everyone, we adhere to the Canadian Code for Volunteer Involvement (a best practices standards developed by Volunteer Canada).
HOW OUR VOLUNTEER PROGRAM WORKS:
We have three different sessions during the year in which volunteers may get involved:
- Winter/Spring session (January 1 to June 30)
- Summer session (July 1 to August 31)
- Fall session (September 1 – December 31)
Depending on the volunteer role, there may be some flexibility in these dates (say, a special project, for example).
HOW TO GET STARTED:
Check our list of current opportunities to see if there are any positions of interest that you are qualified for. If so, please complete our online application. (If not – so please check back often! We regularly have new opportunities for volunteers.)
All volunteers are expected to attend a “Get Started” presentation prior to volunteering (or very shortly after being accepted). This 2-hour session is offered in the evening and includes an introduction to Autism Edmonton as well as a very basic introduction to autism.
Volunteers are able to “Get Started” during these times:
- Late November and January for winter/spring session (dates TBA)
- Late May and June for summer session (dates TBA)
- Late July and September for fall session (dates TBA)
Click below to learn more about volunteering in these programs:
Becoming an Autism Edmonton volunteer will involve:
- Submitting an application
- Coming for an interview (about 60 minutes)
- Providing 3 references
- Submitting a Police Information Check (if applicable)
- Submitting a Vulnerable Sector Check (if applicable)
- Signing a Confidentiality Agreement
- Signing a Volunteer Services Agreement
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING WITH US:
We want our volunteers to be happy with their experience here! You can expect to be treated with gratitude and respect, and to have a meaningful experience.
Benefits to you include:
- Resume experience (volunteering always looks great)
- Possible letter of reference
- Opportunities to learn more about the autism community
- Opportunities to provide feedback and program evaluation
- The ability to increase autism awareness and acceptance
- Meeting some pretty cool people
- Having fun!
EXPECTATIONS OF VOLUNTEERS:
Volunteers are an important part of our team and we rely on them to deliver our events, programs and services. We expect our volunteers to:
- Share Autism Edmonton’s philosophy of inclusion and acceptance for all participants, members, staff and other volunteers.
- Attend training sessions and learning opportunities.
- Be reliable and punctual.
- Communicate well with staff, members and other volunteers.
- Provide feedback to help us improve our programs.
To apply for any of our current positions, please click here for our online Volunteer Form.
You can also get in touch with the Manager of Community Involvement directly by email at email@example.com or by phone at 780-453-3971 ext. 230.
Check back for more opportunities soon!