We are excited to make our slow and safe return to the Occasio Program as per Phase 1 of Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy.
Like most of life, Occasio will look a little different this year due to COVID-19. But we are doing our best to bring you the same engaging and enriching summer experience. We are also introducing new measures and modifications to protect the health and safety of our participants, staff and other contacts.
Here is how our programming will look like this summer:
- PROGRAM DETAILS: Occasio is designed for kids and youth on the autism spectrum. The junior group is for children ages 7-12; the teen group is for ages 13-18 (past program participants can choose which age group to stay with). Occasio is not a summer camp, it's even better! This respite program is full of awesome activities that offer Autistic kids and youth opportunities to practice independence, gain confidence, make friends and stay active, all while providing parents with respite that they have not had during the social distancing period. Health officials across the country are increasingly emphasizing the benefits of participating in physical activities in a safe and managed environment. Occasio is working to provide an experience that offers just that, within a safe, fun and controlled environment.
- LOCATION (New this year!): We will be rolling out our summer program this year using a single site to begin. We are very fortunate to have teamed with Winnifred Stewart Association to use their facility with a gym and outdoor space around the site located at 11130-131 Street. Our goal is to provide opportunities to socialize with a few other staff and participants while teaching and maintaining physical distancing and strong hygiene. As restrictions get lifted, we will be reviewing whether we can shift to some community-based programming throughout the summer.
- TIMELINE (Summer programming): June 15 - August 31, 2020. With school being somewhat stressful at times, we have decided to start our program on June 15 to give our friends early entry into summer programming. Activities will run Monday through Friday, and every day we will offer two separate three-hour events. We will not be running full-day programming this summer.
- FORMAT: We are planning both indoor and outdoor activities. Participants should be prepared with masks (recommended), indoor (non-marking) shoes, snacks, sunscreen, hat, and any other tools they need to be happy and safe in our care.
- HEALTH & SAFETY: Our number one priority will always be the safety of our staff and participants. Please be aware that due to this, we will have strict policies in place for attending Occasio that align with Alberta Health’s Day Camp regulations. These can be accessed at https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/covid-19-relaunch-guidance-day-camps.pdf
To keep everyone safe, we will be adhering to the following protocol:
We want your feedback! Take a short confidential survey to help us develop the best program possible.